I tested two systems for the creation of some virtual tours.
Of the tests I produced, the overall quality and consistency of the Spheron capture was the decider.
- The images were sharper on the Spheron
- The iSTAR images often demonstrated failed stitching operations (using both native and third party solutions). Not every image, but enough to be annoying.
- The iSTAR was faster during capture, but let down by stitching issues and image sharpness (compare finer text on images below)
- Both systems were operated at their maximum capture resolution (50 megapixels).
- The iSTAR was set to HDR Pro mode.
- The Spheron SceneCam was set to between 22 and 26 f-stops (shot dependent).
Comparative shots – Clarity / Resolution
Side by Side (50 MP comparison and 15 MP)
Above : Comparison of 50 MegaPixel and 15MP image.
iSTAR Fusion – Stitching ErrorAbove : example of an iSTAR stitching error
More comparative work on these two systems can be referenced here.