Assess the effectiveness of the SpheronVR ScanLight to provide illumination of a night scene scan.
I rigged a GARMIN VIRB action camera to the top of the SceneCam to provide a ‘dynamic’ ‘first-person’ view of the Scanlight in action, plus an adjacent system to capture a ‘third-person’ perspective.
Capture Results – (NO lighting other than ScanLight and ambient light).
VIMEO version of above available here
As footage shows, the ScanLight was more than capable of lighting a very dark night scene well beyond the 12 metre / 40 feet mark.
It can probably attract insect life (eg moths) well beyond that range too! 😉
The primary benefits are:
- Compact Solution
- Self Powered and Efficient light output
- Calibrated / Sustained 6500K output
- Effective range of 12 metres / 40 feet plus
- Operation of approx 1.5-2 hours per battery cell (system has two cells)
- No need for additional floodlighting
- No requirement for additional power supplies
- No cables / clutter to contaminate crime scenes or infrastructure studies / point cloud colorization application
- Ideal when you are not concerned about ambient light captures
- Speeds up captures by ensuring consistent capture times, even at maximum resolutions
Back to Case Studies Menu Page